What to Do after a New York Car Accident

The immediate aftermath of a serious accident is a stressful and confusing time. There may be serious injuries, fatalities and property damage. As such, it is often difficult to keep a clear head and know how to act in the chaos of a collision. But with the right response, you may be able to improve your chances of bringing a successful claim against the at-fault driver.


If you were in a car crash, contact Kent Hazzard, LLP for advice. Mr. Hazzard will evaluate the circumstances of your accident to determine if you have valid grounds for a lawsuit. If so, we may be able to help you recover medical expenses and lost wages.

To speak to a White Plains personal-injury lawyer about your case, call us today at 914-948-4700. In the meantime, read on to learn how to act after a serious car accident:

On the Scene

According to DMV.org, it is important to ensure that you and other accident victims are safe. Evaluate the severity of the damage and injuries, and contact emergency services immediately.

If possible, move yourself and your vehicles to a safe location – and do not leave the scene. If you do not wait for police to arrive, then law enforcement may consider the action a hit and run.

Do not move injured victims unless they are in immediate danger. This may worsen any existing injuries. Rather, cover them with a jacket or blanket to keep them warm, and wait for an ambulance to arrive.

Once emergency services arrive, or when you are confident everyone is safe, it is important to exchange contact details with all people involved in the accident. Collect names, phone numbers, addresses, license numbers and insurance information from each person. Take photographs of the crash scene and the cars involved.

It is also important to look out for potential witnesses to the accident. A witness may be able to confirm that another driver’s negligence caused your injuries.

Filing a Report

According the New York DMV, you must file an accident report if there was damage of $1,000 or more. All drivers must file this report within 10 days of the crash. If you fail to submit this report, the DMV may suspend your license.

If law enforcement arrives on the scene, it is likely that there will also be a police report. Like witness statements, the police report may be valuable evidence to support your claim. You can obtain this report by filing a police report request, or MV-198C form, at your local DMV.

If you were in a crash and there are no other people nearby, then it is important to make an attempt to locate the owners of the other vehicle. If you are not successful, contact your local police department to report the incident.

If you were in a crash and you have queries about a damages claim, call White Plains accident attorney Kent Hazzard, LLP at 914-948-4700.

James C. Freeman ESQ
James C. Freeman ESQ
At Kent Hazzard, we are committed to integrity, excellence and personalized service while providing the highest quality comprehensive legal services. We take the time to develop and foster helping, caring relationships that benefit our clients. We set ourselves apart by taking only a limited number of cases so that our clients receive the personal and proper attention they deserve.
Recommended Posts

Pin It on Pinterest