Who Is Responsible? 4 FAQs about Premises Liability Claims

A slip and fall accident can cause debilitating injuries regardless of the victim’s age. Neck and back injuries are especially common when it comes to slipping, and they can result in costly medical bills, physical therapy and extensive time off work. If you slipped and fell on someone else’s property because he or she did not maintain it reasonably, we may be able to help you file a premises liability claim.

Man Reading Letter After Receiving Neck Injury

At Kent Hazzard, LLP, we have achieved successful outcomes in injury cases related to premises liability, auto accidents, medical malpractice and construction accidents. Call us today at 914-948-4700 to speak to a personal-injury attorney in White Plains, and read on for four frequently asked questions about premises liability:

  1. What is a premise liability claim?

According to the New York Practice Guide on Negligence, premises liability claims arise after injury occurs on someone’s property. Many people refer to these cases as “slip and fall” claims, and they include accidents that occur both inside the buildings and outside on the sidewalk, parking lot or grounds surrounding the property.

  1. Who is responsible for my injuries?

If you sustained injuries on someone else’s property, there are various parties who may be responsible. Depending on the circumstances, the property owner, landlord or tenant may be liable for the damages.

A personal-injury lawyer can help you determine if the owner or occupier was responsible for the conditions that caused your accident. If you sustained injuries in a store or business during its hours of operation, the property owner is responsible if he or she knew, or should have known, that a dangerous hazard existed on the property but failed to warn you or to remove the hazard in a timely manner.

  1. Who will pay for my medical bills?

If negligence ultimately caused your injuries, the property owner or current occupier could be responsible for covering reasonable medical expenses that you incurred because of your injury. The owner or occupier should have a liability policy with an insurance company, which will cover the damages. It is important to keep in mind that some businesses do not have traditional insurance and instead pay for claims with their own funds.

  1. What if it turns out that the business is not liable for my injuries?

In some injury cases, the store or business may not actually be responsible for an injury that someone sustains on the property. Some businesses and property owners do carry Med-Pay coverage, though, which is no-fault insurance that will cover medical expenses for injuries on the property regardless of fault. If the business does not have Med-Pay and you cannot prove that the owner or occupier is liable, you will be responsible for your medical costs.

If you were injured on someone else’s property due to the owner’s negligence, you may have a valid personal-injury claim. Call Kent Hazzard, LLP today at 914-948-4700 to arrange a free initial consultation to discuss your case.

James C. Freeman ESQ
James C. Freeman ESQ
At Kent Hazzard, we are committed to integrity, excellence and personalized service while providing the highest quality comprehensive legal services. We take the time to develop and foster helping, caring relationships that benefit our clients. We set ourselves apart by taking only a limited number of cases so that our clients receive the personal and proper attention they deserve.
Recommended Posts

Pin It on Pinterest